Saturday 4 June 2016

My Life With Other Animals

Today is the eighth and last day of my vigil at the kitchen garden pond attempting to film Emperor Dragonflies emerging and, just like on real telly, I've yet to see one in daytime. However, my other aims of learning all about them and sharing dragonfly love with Tyntesfield's visitors have gone extremely well. I now know the Emperor's underwater lifecycle in intimate detail and have talked to what must be over a thousand people about these extraordinary animals.

It's now 11 days since the first adults took to the air, so there is a chance the first breeding adults could return to the pond today to start laying eggs. There are also one or two stragglers in the water who might decide to emerge, but I shan't be holding my breath and will instead focus on attempting to enthuse children and adults alike with an underwater bug parade.

Below are pictures of some of the other animals who've been keeping me intrigued, entertained and spiritually buoyant over the last few days.


Male Broad-bodied chaser dragonfly

Female Broad-bodied chaser dragonfly

Female Broad-bodied chaser, egg laying with concerned expression.


Large Red Damselfly

Newly hatched damselfly, not sure of species just yet

The kitchen garden pond's two frogs. Yesterday I saw a miraculous single tadpole that had survived the dragonfly feast.

No comments:

Post a Comment